Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spirit

Luke asked me the other day "when are the fireflies coming out again?" After I told him that they wouldn't be here until summer, he looked so disappointed. I just want to hug him. I love the innocence of youth. Today MacKenzie asked me about Capital Punishment. The look of disappointment on her face was heartbreaking. Yesterday, I went to school to meet Jackson and his teacher for a parent teacher conference. I met his teacher, before she went to get him. While she was gone I went to the bathroom. I came back in through a back door and saw my sweet son looking eagerly toward the front door to see if I was going to show. I snuck up on him from behind to be greeted with a huge sigh of relief. He was so glad I came. I don't think my heart could have bled more.

Why is it that the pure innocence of a child feels so palpable to the human heart. It feels more real than touching a flower or getting kisses from a puppy. It is such an honor to be witness to the life of an individual from birth to adulthood. I could weep from the beauty of it all.

No comments: